A staple at our house. An excellent source of fibre, good fats, antioxidants, moderate protein and respectable sources of potassium, calcium, vitamin E, magnesium and manganese makes this porridge a great way to start the day – or at any time of the day.
5-10 minutes of total prep time gives it the thumb up for a busy household like ours – and given the 5 minutes can be enjoyed stirring over the stove, it’s a therapeutic and mindful way to start the day.
There’s plenty of opportunity to vary ingredients to suit individual preferences, and to keep everyone interested.
We’ve selected organic and chemical free ingredients.
Fuss Free Chia Porridge
Serves 1-2 | Prep Time: 5 Mins | Cook Time: 5 Mins
3 tablespoons chia seeds
3 tablespoons LSA meal
1 1/2 cups (350-375ml) cold press coconut milk *
1/2 cup organic blueberries *
1 tablespoon raw, organic coconut oil *
1/4 cup chopped organic macadamias *
Place milk, chia and LSA meal in a saucepan over low to medium heat. My stove is very sensitive and if I’m dialling up to medium/moderate heat, I need to stir through that time as the seeds and meal absorb the milk quickly.
When porridge like consistency is achieved, take off the heat and add your fruit (if frozen, the heat from the porridge will thaw it readily) and stir through the coconut oil.
Top with chopped nuts and enjoy.
* indicates easily substituted.
– milk of choice: coconut milk, almond milk, cow’s milk, goat’s milk.
– fruit of choice: berries, stone fruit, kiwi, passionfruit.
– oil of choice: coconut, flax, EPO, CLO, olive, nut oils.
– nuts of choice: almonds, macadamias, cacao nibs another choice to vary texture and flavour and boost magnesium content.